When I look at the church, what gives me hope?
Candidly, I haven’t experienced a lot of hope for the church lately. I’m in a season where it would seem that even progressive mainline traditions are stifling the work of God with bureaucracy, allegiance to hierarchy, and trying to resuscitate things that maybe just need to die before they can be truly resurrected.
Perhaps the only reason I’m not Team Burn-It-All-Down at this point is because of the relationships I have with a handful of congregations who are an exception to the rule and because of that Hebrews verse drilled into me about faith being the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things [definitely!] not seen.
Myles Markham (he/him or they/them), Impact Producer, Multitude Films and Mission Specialist, Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
Read what others are saying:
- Church + Boldness = Hope – Bridget Eileen Rivera
- Church + Latinx Millennial Christian Leaders = Hope – Alexia Salvatierra
- Church + Change = Hope – Darren Calhoun
- Church + Clarity = Hope – Lauren Grubaugh
- Church + Marginalized Voices = Hope – Soong-Chan Rah
- Church + Openness to Different Voices = Hope – Randy Woodley
- Church + God’s faithfulness = Hope — Nikki Toyama-Szeto